Posted in Recipes by inMotion Life
Back in my pro cycling days, pancakes were one of my favourite ways of carbo-loading before a big race. Perhaps a strange concept to athletes in most parts of the world, but since I was living in and riding for an Austrian team, this was wasn’t farfetched at all. Austrians love their pancakes, and often eat them as an entire meal.
Well, if you’re like me, and love pancakes, we’ve got a healthier option for you to try with this delicious recipe for whole wheat pancakes.
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of low-fat buttermilk
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ⅛ tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of honey
- Whisk the whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk and honey.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and stir in the egg and buttermilk mixture. Allow the batter to rest for a few minutes.
- Set a non-stick frying pan to medium-high heat. Drop the batter by ¼ cupfuls on to the griddle or pan.
- Cook until the edges begin to dry and bubbles appear in the pancakes.
- Flip and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
(Makes 8 pancakes)
We highly recommend you give this whole wheat pancake recipe a try, and we’d love to hear what you think of it in the comments below.